now that i’ve had a moment to breathe post-berlin, i wanted to post my resolutions. i made these awhile ago, but posting them here gives some sort of official weight. i have a lot of BIG things coming up in 2012, and if even a little bit of internet support makes it easier, i’m all for it.
take advantage of my two weeks in berlin. obviously this is over now, but i wanted to start the year off by getting the most out of the trip. it’s the longest i’ve taken, and having never studied abroad, this is most likely as close as i’m getting. i wanted to make sure i met people, learned as much as i could, and really embraced german culture. i’m so glad i did this and hope it sets the tone for an intellectually and emotionally rewarding 2012.
get a new job. this, you guys. now that i’ll have this masters under my belt, it’s high time i start the career i want. this will be my number one priority for the next few months - any tips for museum/nonprofit jobs in DC, send them my way.
plan a wedding. yeah, remember that whole engagement thing? we need to start making some moves. we’re aiming for early 2013, so we have time, but the big stuff (venue. caterer. photographer. DRESS.) needs to be accomplished.
organize my finances. finishing up my masters is great and all, but it also means that loans need to be repaid. a wedding needs to be planned. a future needs to be considered. i need to get this under control. i’m trying to get myself to use mint more religiously, and come up with a game plan for when bobby and i combine forces. plus, people don’t go into museum jobs to make money, so i will most likely have to deal with a very diminished paycheck.
diet. i know most people start a new year with a weight loss plan and i am no different. rather than exercise i need to focus on food. eating better, eating less.
declutter. i have such a talent for making myself feel busy and stressed when there’s no reason for it - i have this need to stay constantly busy, with something always left on my to-do. so, my attempt at de-cluttering is going to include:
• simplify my online presence. i have so many accounts and read so many blogs and articles that i feel anxious when i don’t have time to do it - something that should be fun. i’m cleaning up my reader, shutting down some accounts.
• unsubscribe! i wake up to an ungodly amount of email that is just junk (seriously, how do i get 18 gilt emails a week?).
• try to do a little every day. for example, when i need to clean our apartment, it’s a big many hours to-do because i pile it all on together. i need to learn to attack things piecemeal and make them routine - not something else on my to do list.
• analyze the things that stress me out daily and plan them better. for example - dinner. it’s always a pain just to figure out what to eat, where to get ingredients, how long it’s going to take, etc. solution = plan ahead.
• obligation or pleasure? i feel like i commit to things without considering whether or not i actually WANT to do said thing…i just feel like i have to. i need to pause before making commitments.
anyways, i think that’s about it…here’s to 2012!